суббота, 6 марта 2010 г.

Oh Canada! Primal Dessert To Ease that Sweet Tooth

On any given night when I get the urge for a sweet hit, I’ll do one of two things.  Strike up the coffee is my first line of attack.  My brain must process coffee’s flavor in close proximity to chocolate or something sweet.  I’ll add whey protein to it normally, so it not only tastes great, it fills me and pushes away the cravings.  If it’s too late for coffee, I’ll also turn to my 85% Dark Cacao chocolate.  Two squares do me about right and I’m able to carry on.

All of that will change with this recipe, I fear.

I did some searching and came across a new site for me, Club Fritch, a fun site put together by a married couple living in Canada.  I don’t know about you, but I thought our friends up north did a GREAT job with the Olympics as well as show us ignorant folk what a BEAUTIFUL country they have.  But I digress…

The only disclaimer I would add add on this recipe is this:  studies have shown that sweeteners like Stevia cause an insulin response, much like sugar consumption.  The sweet flavors hit the tongue and in some folks, it is the same as processed carbs or sugar.  So, what I’m saying is that like most other Primal desserts – enjoy in moderation within the confines of the 80/20 rule.  But the bottom line is this:  ENJOY!  (Or, if you’re like me, I’m already experiencing that insulin response just by reading this recipe and checking out the picture!)

Thanks again to Gillian and Ryan at Club Fritch for sharing this!

Nutty Primal Nanaimo Bars  (Buttercream Version)

Crust

  • 1 cup brazil nuts
  • ½ cup coconut oil
  • dash salt
  • 1 tbsp stevia extract
  • ¼ tsp vanilla
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder

Blitz brazil nuts until a course powder.  Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well.  Spoon onto a greased (with butter or coconut oil) cookie pan (9×9).  Bake for 25 minutes at 350’F.  Cool and chill.

Buttercream Layer

This is not really a custard; but the original Nanaimo bar custard layer isn’t really a custard either.  So go ahead and enjoy!

  • 1 1/8 cup butter, soft
  • ¼ tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/3 tbsp stevia extract (or another sweetener to taste)
  • ¼ cup coconut flour

Whip the butter in a food processor.  Add the remaining ingredients and blend well.  Spoon onto chilled crust layer and return to fridge to chill more.

Hard Chocolate Topping

  • ½ cup coconut oil
  • 3/8 cup cocoa powder
  • ½ tsp vanilla
  • ½ tbsp stevia extract

Melt all ingredients together in a saucepan over low heat.  Cool slightly.  Spoon over well-chilled custard layer.  Chill further!

When the final layer is hard (about 20 minutes); cut into squares and enjoy!  Store in the refrigerator.

The cheesecake alternative is still “Primal” or shall we say 80/20 Primal with the use of cream cheese.

Cheesecake Layer (instead of custard)

  • 3/4 cup butter, soft
  • 1/8 cup almond butter (or another nut butter of your choice)
  • 1/8 cup cream cheese
  • ¼ tsp vanilla
  • 1 1/3 tbsp stevia extract (or another sweetener to taste)

Whip the butter in a food processor.  Add the remaining ingredients and blend well.  Spoon onto chilled crust layer and return to fridge to chill more.

Oh, Canada!  You’ve given me another reason to love you.  Already cold enough in South Dakota, I wouldn’t want to live anywhere any cooler, but if I did…

[Via http://lifeisntover.wordpress.com]

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий