воскресенье, 14 марта 2010 г.

"We are all citizens of this Earth."

I owe you a thought-provoking post after the other one a couple hours ago.

So here you are.

A while back (a month, tops) I was watching the news. (I don’t normally watch the news, but my brother likes to so he seems civilized, and I was walking by.) There was a small segment where people on the streets were interviewed on their opinions towards immigration.

Several of these people shocked me with their territorial words, something like “You have your land, we have ours.” People with thoughts like that make me very upset.

But what moved me was a man that said, “We are all citizens of the Earth.”

As soon as he said that, I thought, Yeah! That’s true! We all have to share the world, it’s only proper.

The world is everyone’s home, and their country is merely their own little room. To not be allowed to leave is to be a prisoner in your own home. (I hope that was as clear as I meant it to be…)

Like, imagine you have this giant pie. Or turkey. Or something. Everyone sitting around the dinner table represents a demographic or country. The turkey or pie or whatever is the land and various resources on Earth.

Overall, the pie/turkey is wicked good, but there are small parts that aren’t as delicious as they could be. A couple people get massive, scrumptious parts of the pie/turkey, but most of them get what’s left over.

Some of them fight over the icky parts because the people who have the yummy parts are like the woman who’d said, “You have your land, we have ours.” (NOTE: I’m not saying non-developing countries are greedy! I’m just saying some people are, enough to stop us from helping as much as we could possibly.)

And they have a stronger (as in bigger and/or with more resources like ammo and/or money) demographic/country, so it’s difficult to stand up to them. Or if they do, they either fail, or they’re not standing up for themselves the right way.

As in they might resort to terrorism because the big countries aren’t listening. No one’s given them any better reason or way to get us to listen otherwise. Sometimes it’s difficult to realize how many people are truly innocent.

Anyway, I’m trying to get at the point that the key to peace on Earth is listening, understanding. Unless somebody is truly mentally unstable, (in which case they shouldn’t even be involved in politics) if you listen and try your best to understand where everybody’s coming from, you shouldn’t still feel ill will towards them.

We are really all the same. We all belong to the Earth. We are all human beings. (As far as I know…) We all look up at the same moon, even if it’s upside-down in your half of the planet. We were all just born and raised differently. But we’re all alive, we all have thoughts.

“We are all citizens of this Earth.” It’s ours to share. We may as well be pleasant about it.

Just because a couple of polititians don’t get along doesn’t mean we can’t, you know?

Alex Violet.

PS Damn right, this fifteen-year-old’s got a head on her shoulders and an opinion for every controversy.

I want to leave ya with another quote.

Audrey Hepburn

The ‘Third World’ is a term I don’t like very much, because we’re all one world. I want people to know that the largest part of humanity is suffering.

[Via http://brilliantbroccoli.wordpress.com]

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий