вторник, 23 февраля 2010 г.

O Canada

I’ve never been a huge sports person. I did the usual when I was younger – dance, swimming, gymnastics, and figure skating – but eventually I gave it all up. I’m also not the most patriotic Canadian out there. I do my fair share of complaining about the country. It’s too cold, there aren’t any good beaches, it’s too boring. You name it, I complain about it.

But every so often I do a complete 180, and turn on the Canadian spirit in a big way.

The first is during the World Juniors hockey. For some reason hockey makes me incredibly patriotic. Perhaps it’s because I’m one of those people that believe hockey is Canada’s game. Sure, the US and Russia can play too. We know how to share. But when it comes right down to it, we own it. It’s ours.

The second is during the winter Olympics. For two weeks every four years I find myself watching sports I never had an interest in before, cheering on athletes I’ve never heard of simply because we share citizenship of the same country. There’s always a lot of talk about the US “owning the podium.” You know what? If the US can go on and win 30-some odd medals, good for them. But no matter where Canada ranks, the Canuck spirit remains strong.

I say that with one notable exception: hockey. As much as winning isn’t supposed to matter, it’s important to the country that we win gold in men’s hockey. There’s something so special about watching your flag rise to the top while the anthem plays. It’s a national past-time; the sport that unites us all. And we’re on home soil. We had a little lapse on Sunday night against the Americans – it didn’t help that their goalie was incredible – but we’ll come back strong and make it right again. Because we’re Canadian. And this is our sport.

So, Sid, bring it home. We’ll be behind you every step of the way.

[Via http://noregretsyet.wordpress.com]

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий